GNS3 WorkBench 8.6 is out
The next version of GNS3 WorkBench is out. You can download it several forms:
- An entire Virtual Machine as a single blob (although split into two files 2.5G-3G in size)
- The same Virtual Machine as individual files (in case you can’t get the big files)
- A “self-serve” script to allow you to install everything you need to create your own Appliance on whatever flavour of Linux you like (so long it is Mint 16.0)
- Just the WorkBench labs and exercises along with their instruction files. These can be added to your existing Windows or OS X install of GNS3 to give you the essential elements of the WorkBench in the comfort of your own favourite Operating System. This version is only possible because of the great work Jeremy did in fixing the Snapshot function and Instructions features in GNS3 v8.6.
The Latest Features in a Nutshell
- Labs are now based on GNS3 Snapshots – so you don’t need to run a script to load the appropriate exercise, you can open exercises/labs from within GNS3
- The help system is now html based, and is integrated into the Help | Instructions feature that was introduced into GNS3 v0.8.5
- Since GNS3 now has VPCS incorporated into the Tools | VPCS menu, there is no need to load VPCS via a startup script to run labs/exercises.
- The above three features have removed now make it possible to deliver a Windows/OS X version of GNS3 WorkBench.
- Labs have been updated to more closely reflect the September 2013 changes to the CCNA exams.
- Over 20 new labs/extensions to labs. Mostly troubleshooting exercises added to tried and true labs.
- Total of 50 different Labs/Scenarios
- Total of approx 140 different exercises/solutions (Snapshots) shared between these labs.
- Ability to add your own exercises – just save your own snapshots and add your own instructions.
So what is GNS3 WorkBench anyway?
GNS3 WorkBench is a VMware image Appliance running Linux Mint with (almost) everything you need to make GNS3 run already installed, including: GNS3; Wireshark; Qemu; Oracle VirtualBox; Virtual PC Simulator (VPCS); Konsole; Putty and Xterm. It also has a collection of public domain images (Microcore Linux and Vyatta routers) installed and ready to go. As well as a comprehensive collection of over 140 exercises/labs. (The Winows/OS X version is just the collection of exercises and public domain images).
To run the Appliance, you will to add VMware and a Cisco IOS for an instant GNS3 WorkBench environment.
To run GNS3 WorkBench Windows/OS X version, you will need GNS3 already installed on your Windows/OS X computer, and you will need to supply your own Cisco IOS Image.
Lean more about GNS3 at http://www.gns3.net
Download GNS3 WorkBench – from sourceforge.net. The latest version is version 8.6, uploaded on 2014-04-10.
Read this blog post for more details about GNS3 WorkBench v8.6
Read this page for details about installing the “Self-Serve” version
Want to say “Thanks”?
I used to ask people to sign up for DropBox – so they would get more space and so would I. Thanks to all those who clicked my link and signed up – I’m not sure if you sign up to DropBox by clicking this link, that you will get an additional 250MB of free storage because I’m maxed out now.